I’ve been pondering why we decorate our homes so much with the word ‘LOVE’. Not only ‘love’ but also other words such as peace, calm, rest. Do you think it’s because we want to remind ourselves how great love is, or are we wishing love to be in the places that we dwell like some kind of blessing.
Are we declaring ‘love lives here’ or asking ‘please love live here’. Or is it a reminder ‘to love’ in this space, after all it is sometimes hardest to show love to the ones we live with! Is it only for romantics and song lovers, after all; “all we need is love”. Why do I like this word on items? I think, at times, for me it is all of these.
There is something about the word that we want it written in our homes.
There is this passage you may have heard read at weddings:
“Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.”*²
I want to love and be loved like that, it’s pretty awesome. I fail at this so often, so putting the word around the home reminds me to try harder, do better and know that I am loved by God like that.
Button love heart canvas
This little canvas appeared in a photo I took for a previous post on how I transformed some bookshelves for my bedroom. Anniebobsblog on Instagram commented on how they loved the button heart canvas. It’s a canvas I made and here’s the how-to.
I used blue mother of pearl buttons for this canvas. It has a romantic feel for a french styled or country styled bedroom. You can make it in any colour you wish, it depends on the buttons you can find.
To make this button heart canvas picture you will need a square canvas and a mini easel like these:
and some mother of pearl buttons
You will also need a heart template (< printable pdf), a pencil, a needle and some embroidery thread to match the colour of your buttons.
- Place your heart template onto the canvas, place your buttons in a heart shape around the heart. Take your pencil and mark the canvas through the button holes so that you know where to sew them.
- Take your embroidery thread and split it into 3 strands. Thread a needle with it and then sew your buttons in place through the canvas.
- With your pencil write lightly the word love in a scripty style. You may want to practice on some paper first if you are not confident in your handwriting. Some tips would be to start and end with a tail/flourish to the l and the e and join up the letters. It doesn’t have to be too elaborate, as you can see mine is not overly flowery!
- Take your needle and thread and stitch over your pencil handwriting using a straight or back stitch.
- Place your canvas onto the easel and display!
*¹ 1 John 4:18
*² 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 The Message (MSG)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, if you make a purchase I get a small commission.
6 ways to discover your creativity
6 ways to discover your creativity e-mag & bonus printable manifestos.